DISCLOSURE: AS AN AMAZON ASSOCIATE I EARN FROM QUALIFYING PURCHASES.
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, MEANING, AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU, I EARN FROM QUALIFYING PURCHASES. AFFILIATE LINKS ARE MARKED WITH #ad. "I" IN THIS CASE MEANS THE OWNER OF FILMDAFT.COM. PLEASE READ THE FULL DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
Tripods are an essential piece of video gear. They ensure stability for your camera, make it possible to create smooth panning and tilting shots, and they also free your hands, so you can get busy with adjusting lenses, lights, interviewing a subject, etc.
But tripods can be expensive. Especially if you’re going for the big and heavy-duty ones for big cameras.
In this article, we strive to give you a head-start when it comes to buying budget-friendly tripods for smaller sized cameras such as DSLR, mirrorless, and camcorders.
We present you with 10 affordable and budget-friendly models which can be bought online and are ideal for beginners as well as professional video makers.
Even though you can get even cheaper tripods than these, we didn’t want to sacrifice quality just to find something cheaper.
So the one thing they all have in common is that they are good quality and still provide you with a great bang for the buck.
1. Manfrotto 190X Aluminum 3-Section Tripod with Fluid Head | YouTuber’s Favorite
Manfrotto is one of the most popular brands when it comes to tripods for video cameras. The 190X tripod is made entirely from aluminum and it’s very easy to work with.
The tripod comes with a fluid head which means that you can make smooth pan and tilt adjustments when filming. The fluid head comes with 2 levels – soft and hard – allowing you to easily adjust the resistance level to your needs.
The attached handle helps you easily rotate the camera to capture a stunning landscape view while doing a smooth pan.
A quick release plate makes easy to quickly remove your camera from the tripod for handheld shots and put it back on again.
If you’re wondering about heights, this tripod has a maximum height of 63 inches with the center column extended. This is a good height for shooting while standing upright and is easily enough for filming a close up of a talking subject, who is also standing.
When the column is down, the max height is around 53 inches and when the center column is closed, the max height is nearly 23 inches.
The 4 legs are completely adjustable and equipped with rubber feet which give them stability when on the ground. These legs also extend to different angles such as 25, 46, 66 and 88 degrees.
With a small trick, you can change the angle of the center column 90 degrees. Coupled with all the adjustment options of the legs this function makes it possible to make some stabilized low-angle shots close to the ground. – Or you can use to place a camera directly above a table for instructional videos or unboxing vlogs.
We’ve used this tripod on a lot of jobs with the Panasonic GH5, Sigma lenses, on-camera lights, on-camera microphone, cages, and other accessories, and it has always provided a stable base. And even after years of usage it still performs flawlessly with no broken parts.
This is a great all-around tripod, with a great head, which is built to last you a long time. We found this great deal on the Manfrotto 190X Aluminum with the XPRO Fluid Head on Amazon.
- Lightweight, the entire tripod weighs just 0.7 kg
- Comes with a fluid head
- Comes with a quick-release plate
- built-in bubble level indicators
- Maximum supported weight of 4 kg
- Legs can be adjusted and inclined independently from one another
- Very stable on any surface
- Center column can be flipped 90 degrees.
- Not the most inexpensive tripod out there, but it comes with a lot of features
- Center column is a bit unstable when fully extended (but this is the case with most center columns on tripods).
2. Manfrotto Befree Live Carbon Fiber Video Tripod | Best For Travel
The second tripod on our list also comes from Manfrotto. But where the first one was made from aluminum, the BeFree Live Carbon is made from carbon fiber.
This is the perfect tripod for travel videos or when you just want to go very light-weight.
A quick release plate makes easy to quickly remove your camera from the tripod for handheld shots.
As you probably already know, carbon fiber is a very light but durable material. It’s extensively used in the aviation and automotive industry thanks to its impressive resistance to heat and vibration.
Because of these features, carbon fiber tripods have become increasingly popular (which has helped reduce the price), as they can handle big loads while still be very stable and lightweight.
The legs of the BeFree live carbon tripod with twist locks mechanism.
The maximum height is nearly 60 inches with the center column fully extended. The minimum length is an incredible 16 inches.
Thanks to its durable design and strong core, this tripod is capable of sustaining almost 4 kg of weight.
At the same time, the tripod is also lightweight and it can be carried around with ease. Its total weight is around 1.3 kg and the manufacturer included a carrying bag in the package, so you can easily transport the tripod to your destination.
The fluid head installed on this tripod also helps you make smooth pans and tilts when filming a scene.
Check out the current price for the Manfrotto BeFree Live Carbon Travel Tripod now on Amazon.
- Made from carbon fiber, so it’s super-durable
- Comes with a quick release plate
- Ensures excellent horizontal alignment thanks to its built-in leveling ball
- Comes with a 5-year warranty
- Remains stable on all types of surfaces or terrains
- Center column is a bit unstable when fully extended (but this is the case with most center columns on tripods).
3. Benro Aero 4 Travel Angel Video Tripod Kit | Great Tripod With Monopod For Travel
The Benro Aero 4 Travel Angel is an amazing versatile tripod which can be converted into a monopod by removing one of its legs.
The legs can also be adjusted at various angles and they feature rubber feet which add stability on any surface. At the same time, you can remove the rubber feet and use the spiked feet for more stability on uneven terrains such as beaches.
The head features a leveling ball which helps you make incremental adjustments, making sure that you always get the horizon line perfectly when panning. The center column comes with a hook which lets you hang additional weight for extra stability if your camera is really heavy.
A quick release plate makes easy to quickly remove your camera from the tripod for handheld shots and put it back again.
The maximum height of this tripod is about 65 inches while its total weight is just above five and a half pounds. The maximum weight load is about 4 kilograms which are sufficient for most photographers and filmmakers.
We’ve used this tripod with DSLR video cameras, lens, on-camera lights, on-camera microphones, and other accessories without ever worrying about the weight should compromise the stability.
Check the current price for the Benro Aero 4 Travel Tripod now on Amazon.
- Aluminum construction, lightweight and durable
- Comes with carrying case for easy transport
- Comes with a quick-release plate
- Supports about 4 kg of weight
- Easy-to-use fluid head with independent controls for tilt and panning
- Comes with both rubber and spiked feet
- 5 years warranty
- Contains some plastic components which might break easily if the tripod is not handled with care.
- The handle is placed so it is difficult to adjust the quick release plate unless the handle is in a specific position. Not as easy to use as the quick release system from Manfrotto.
4. Viltrox VX 18 m Video Tripod | Best Budget Option For Heavy Cameras Or Lenses
If you plan on using a camcorder or a very heavy DSLR camera then the VX-18M model might be more suitable for you.
This is a really tough tripod with legs made from aluminum. But despite the heavy-duty ruggedness it still only weighs around 4 kilograms itself.
It can sustain a total weight of about 13.2 lbs / 6 kg.
You get 360-degree panning range for stunning panoramic shots and a great tilting range from – 75 degrees to +90 degrees.
One of the most impressive features of this tripod is its maximum height of nearly 74 inches. And that is without a center column, which tends to be unstable when fully extended. The minimum height is only 33 inches.
A sliding quick release plate makes it easy to attach or remove your camera for a quick handheld shot.
When it comes to stability, this tripod uses rubber soles mounted on foot pads. These pads are adjustable and help you level the entire tripod on any surface.
Check the current price for the Viltrox VX-18M now on Amazon.
- The fluid head supports more than 6 kg of weight. Great for bigger cameras and/or big lenses.
- Comes with a carrying case and tools
- Maximum height is 74 inches
- Quick release plate
- Comes with separate locks for pan and tilt functions
- The mid-level spreaders ensure that the legs remain stable on uneven surfaces
- The handle of the quick release plate seems a bit fragile, so we worry that it might break if too much force is applied
5. GEEKOTO 79 inches Carbon Fiber Camera Tripod Monopod | Best Travel Tripod With Monopod
If you’re looking for a light-weight and versatile tripod for travel, which can also work as a monopod, you should definitely check out this one from GEEKOTO.
This versatile tripod is popular among photographers and filmmakers thanks to its impressive maximum height of 79 inches. The minimum height is 19 inches and the 3 legs made from carbon fiber can be adjusted at 4 different angles.
If 79 inches is still not tall enough for you, it is possible to add 2 more inches by dissembling one of the legs and transforming this tripod into a monopod, with a max height of 81 inches.
The ball head features a ball joint which ensures a 360-degree panoramic view when filming.
The tripod itself weighs around 1.5 kg due to its carbon fiber construction, and its maximum loading capacity is 12 kg.
We wouldn’t recommend you put more than 10-11 kg of video equipment on it though. Especially if you plan to extend the center column a lot as this can cause it to become unstable.
This is by no means a fault of this tripod. It is always advised that you allow for a bit of headroom and not use the tripod to its maximum weight capability. Just like it is also common practice not to fully extend the legs.
You can improve the overall stability of the tripod, by attaching weights to the bottom of the center column, which is a really nice feature to have.
We found this great deal for the GEEKOTO 79 inches carbon fiber tripod here on Amazon.
- Comes with rubber feet and a carrying bag for easy transport
- Features a 1/4 inch quick release plate
- Maximum height of 79 inches
- Ideal for panoramic shots thanks to its flexible ball joint
- Made from carbon fiber which is both durable and lightweight
- Features a maximum load capacity of 12 kg
- Comes with a ball head as default. Though the 360° Flexible sphere design, makes it possible to do pan, tilt, and pan-tilt shots, it doesn’t replace a true fluid head with a handle. If you want a true fluid head which is travel-friendly, we recommend the Manfrotto BeFree Live lightweight travel fluid head on Amazon.
- Doesn’t have spiked legs, but this is a minor drawback since the rubber feet provide sufficient stability on most terrains
6. IFOOTAGE 65″ Aluminum Video Tripod | Versatile Tripod Base For Photography and Video
This tripod from iFootage is another excellent tripod for both photographers and videographers.
It comes with aluminum legs which can be adjusted at 3 different angles, depending on your shooting needs. These legs come with rubber feet, but they also have spiked feet for extra stability in uneven terrains.
Keep in mind, that the price is just for the tripod. You need to get a video head yourself. In this case, we recommend the Manfrotto 502 AH fluid video head on Amazon, because it is a great quality head, with a lot of cool features for balance and smooth camera movements.
The maximum height of this unit is 65 inches and the minimum one is 7.5 inches.
Yes, this tripod allows low-angle shooting which means inverting the central column, so that your DSLR safely hangs at just a few inches above the ground.
The low-angle feature is ideal for macro photography, low-angle camera angles, and simple stop-motion movies.
With that being said, the tripod remains compact and easy to transport. Its folded weight is about 25 inches, it comes with a carrying bag and it weighs around 2 kg. The maximum load capacity is 6 kg which is enough in most cases.
Lastly, keep in mind that this model is available in different colors and made from different materials. You can have the legs made from aluminum or carbon fiber which is more durable, but also slightly more expensive.
Check the current price for the iFootage 65 inches tripod now on Amazon.
- Aluminum legs can be adjusted independently
- Comes with a hook on the central column which is great for adding weights for extra stability
- Max loading capacity of about 6kg
- Ideal for macro photography, stop-motion, and low angle shots
- Comes with carrying bag
- Doesn’t come with a video fluid head or ball head as standard.
7. SLIK Pro 700 DX Tripod | Best Budget-Friendly Tripod For Beginners Who Still Want Good Quality
If you need a really durable tripod made from strong materials such as magnesium and titanium then you should check out the 700 DX model from Slik.
This tripod weighs around 2.5kg, depending on what head you’re using, but it can hold a maximum weight of nearly 9kg.
It has been designed to be used for some of the heaviest DSLR cameras and camcorders out there and it offers enhanced stability thanks to its aluminum and titanium frame.
The maximum height of this tripod is around 75 inches with the central column fully extended. When it’s folded, it has a length of just 30 inches, so you can easily carry it around, especially since the manufacturer also provides a case with a zipper enclosure in the package.
Another great advantage of this tripod is the possibility to shoot at low angles. The central column can be inverted, giving you the chance to capture some stunning macro photos, make stop-motion movies for Instagram and more.
Check the current price for the Slik Pro 700 DX Tripod now on Amazon.
- Legs made from aluminum, titanium, and magnesium, so they are extremely durable
- The maximum load capacity of nearly 9kg, so it can sustain large cameras
- Easy to use and portable
- Comes with a pan-and-tilt head which offers 360-degree rotation
- Features rubber feet for enhanced stability on all surfaces
- Available in 2 colors and multiple buying options, depending on the head you choose
- Slightly heavy at nearly 2.5kg, but this is because it’s made from very durable materials
- The video head isn’t a fluid head
8. Davis & Sanford PROVISTA18 Tripod with FM18 Head | Best Inexpensive Tall Tripod
If you’re looking for a high-quality and inexpensive tripod, the Provista18 model might be ideal for your needs.
Its maximum height of 78 inches makes it great for multiple applications in photography and videomaking while the fluid head gives you plenty of movement options when filming.
At the same time, the minimum height of this tripod is 31 inches and its’ folded length is about 34 inches, so you can easily take it with you wherever you go. The manufacturer also offers a padded carrying case in the package, so you can safely transport your tripod.
The legs are made from anodized aluminum and they come with rubber feet, ensuring stability on any surface or terrain. The tripod is capable of sustaining a maximum load capacity of about 8 kg which is not bad for such a compact and budget-friendly tripod.
Check the current price for the Davis & Sanford Provista18 tripod with the FM18 head now on Amazon.
- Durable construction and adjustable aluminum legs
- Fluid head with quick release offers unlimited panning and tilting options
- Comes with padded carrying case
- Maximum height of 78 inches
- Geared center column, doesn’t allow drifting or sliding
- The tripod weighs about 4.5 kg which is more than the other tripods available on the market
9. Neewer Professional Heavy Duty Video Camera Tripod | Best Inexpensive Double-Legged Tripod
Neewer is known for making some of the most reliable and budget-friendly accessories for DSLR cameras, including tripods.
This heavy-duty tripod is ideal for beginner and advanced filmmakers and it comes at a reasonable price.
The Neewer tripod has a fluid drag head which allows 360 degrees panning as well as tilts from -70 to +90 degree angles.
The maximum height is about 64 inches while the minimum one is 32 inches. Even better, when you fold the tripod, it measures just 34 inches in size, so it’s easy to carry in your backpack or case.
The tripod weighs about 4 kg since it’s made from durable materials such as aluminum. It can sustain a maximum weight of 8 kg, but we wouldn’t recommend going above 6-7 kg.
The rubber feet will ensure stability on any surface, so your camera equipment is safe with this tripod.
All-in-all this tripod offers a great bang for your buck for the beginner filmmaker on a budget who still wants a solid base for their camera.
Check the current price for the Neewer Professional Heavy Duty Camera Tripod now on Amazon.
- Heavy duty tripod, can take a lot of wear and tear
- Supports up to 4kg of video equipment
- The fluid head offers 360-degree panning features
- Comes with padded carrying case
- Aluminum legs with adjustable heights featuring extension locks
- Mid-level spreader prevents the legs from collapsing
- Comes with some plastic components which might deteriorate over time
10. Manfrotto Compact Action Aluminum 5-Section Tripod Kit | Best Budget-Friendly Beginner’s Tripod
The last product in our list also comes from Manfrotto and it’s a super-affordable tripod which can stretch up to 61 inches in maximum height.
The minimum height is nearly 17 inches while its folded length is also around 17 inches. The manufacturer supplies a protective bag in the package, so you can safely transport your tripod to your destination.
When it comes to materials, this tripod is made from a combination of aluminum and technopolymer. This makes it super-lightweight, measuring just about 1.1 kg if you put it on a scale.
With that being said, the joystick head can still hold around 1.5kg of video equipment, so as long as you don’t use very heavy video cameras, this tripod is ideal for you.
The quick release plate mounted on the head is compatible with many types of video cameras, so feel free to experiment with DSLR and mirrorless devices.
This tripod is also the perfect choice if you’re a vlogger or gaming streamer who are looking for a compact tripod which doesn’t break the bank.
We found this great deal for the Manfrotto Compact Action Aluminum 5-Section Tripod Kit with Hybrid Head on Amazon.
- Super-lightweight thanks to its aluminum construction
- Comes with 5-sections legs with rubber feet for added stability
- Offers multiple tilting options at various angles
- Ideal for DSLR, mirrorless and CSC cameras
- Maximum height of 61 inches
- Doesn’t hold very large or heavy cameras
- No fluid video head
Pick Your Favorite Today!
Luckily for all filmmakers, there are tons of tripods to choose from, depending on your particular interests and needs.
And we’ve tried lots of different tripods through the years, and believe that the 10 mentioned above in this lens all offer a lot of value for your money while not sacrificing quality and build.
So which one is your favorite? Do you know a different product which is not included in this list? If so, please share in the comment section below!
About the author
Nick Gold is a content writer for hire specializing in health and tech topics. He writes regularly on multiple websites including